Measuring for your Bar Foot Rail
Installing a bar foot rail involves precise measurements to ensure a comfortable and functional fit. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to measure for a bar foot rail:
Gather Materials and Tools:
- Measuring tape
- Pencil or marker
- Paper and calculator (for recording measurements)
Determine Rail Height:
- Standard bar foot rail height is typically 7-9 inches from the floor. Measure from the floor to the bottom of the bar top to decide on the height you want.
Choose a Style and Material:
- Decide on the type of material you want for your foot rail (common options include brass, stainless steel, and wood) and the style (round, square, oval, etc.).
Measure Bar Length:
- Measure the total length of the bar where you want to install the foot rail. This will be the distance along the front of the bar where the rail will be attached.
Determine Corner Bends:
- If your bar has corners, you'll need to account for bends in the rail. Measure the radius of each corner (the distance from the corner to where you want the rail to start curving). This will help determine the length of straight railing needed.
Account for Mounting Hardware:
- If your chosen foot rail style requires brackets or flanges for mounting, measure the length of these as well. This measurement is important for ensuring that you have enough straight rail sections to cover the entire length.
Calculate the Total Length:
- Add up the lengths of all the straight sections needed to cover the front of your bar and include any additional lengths for corner bends and mounting hardware.
Account for Connectors (if necessary):
- If your bar is longer than the maximum length of a single rail section, you'll need to include connectors. Measure the length of the connectors and add them to your total.
Account for End Caps (if necessary):
- If you want to cap the ends of your foot rail, measure the length of the end caps and include them in your total.
Consider Returns (optional):
- Returns are short sections of rail that are attached perpendicular to the main rail at the ends. They provide a finished look and help prevent tripping. Measure and include these if desired.
Order or Purchase Materials:
- Based on your measurements, order or purchase the necessary foot rail components. Ensure you have enough straight sections, connectors, mounts, end caps, and returns (if needed).
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the foot rail, ensuring it's securely attached to the bar.
Remember to double-check all measurements before placing an order or making any cuts to the rail material. It's always better to be precise from the start to avoid any issues during installation.